Sunday, January 01, 2012

What I learned about collage poetry in 2011

So, I discovered a few things about collage poetry this year.

Firstly, I can't do the collage poem a day thing, so I won't be posting any more 365 day challenges - there lies the way of madness.

When I start creating collage poems (and the whole mess that goes with it), I generally have 4 or 5 poems on the go at once. A phrase may make absolutely no sense in one poem (though it's not always a bad thing to challenge logic) but will fit beautifully in another poem.

My poems come in binges - the workshop I presented in September led to a binge that lasted several weeks, spread across my dining room table and my work desk and resulted in 18 poems. On average for that period, I made a collage poem a day.





So for 2012, I have set a goal of having a collage poetry binge weekend once a month.


Check back here for the results.

Meanwhile, here is my 'theme' for the next 12 months.

2 comments:

Collage Poet said...

Hi Diane! I've been meaning to stop by. You commented on my blog months ago.
Just letting you know I stumbled across you blog over a year ago and I loved it!
A collage poem a day was a bold, impossible task. Besides, rushing this kind of beautiful creativity could ruin the wonderful outcome.
I hope you're creating as often as you get the chance.
Your poems are wonderful, so cleanly put together and an inspiration to those of us who sometimes struggle to keep the creativity flowing!
Best wishes!
Always,
Jess Schneider

Unknown said...

I really love the idea of a collage poem a day! It is a big challenge to do or create one of anything every single day. your poems are really well put together and extremely creative. I love your blog!
-Marissa